My Credit Union


Do I have to be a member to take out a loan?

Horizon is a mutual financial services organisation and as such is owned by its members, each one of whom is a shareholder. You don't need to be a member to apply for a loan, however if your loan is approved you will subsequently become a member.

Learn more about opening an account^

How much can I borrow?

Would you like to calculate how much you may be able to borrow? Use our Borrowing Power Calculator. ^

What costs do I need to consider?


The biggest initial cost is the deposit. This could range from 5% and above of the value of the property.

Stamp Duty

Stamp duty is a tax on written documents and on certain transactions including:

Stamp duty is imposed by state and territory governments and the rate of stamp duty varies according to the type and value of the transaction involved.

Registration fees

Registration fees are payable on a property purchase and on a mortgage.

Whenever a property changes hands, the change of ownership must be recorded with the appropriate State Titles Office. A document known as a Transfer of Land must be lodged, the cost of which varies in each State/Territory. Please contact your solicitor/conveyancer who should perform this task on your behalf.

There is also a government charge to register your mortgage document. We will pay the applicable state authority on your behalf. You will be charged at cost.

Legal Fees

Legal expenses for the average home purchase include:

Searches and inspections

Contracts should never be exchanged until the necessary searches and inspections have been completed. Searches and inspections may include the following:

Title search
A Certificate of Title obtained from the Titles Office by your solicitor/conveyancer provides details of who owns the property and who else has an interest in it. This is a good way to research if there are any mortgages, caveats, restrictive covenants etc on the property which would affect the transfer of title.

Building inspection and pest report
The report completed by your building inspector will detail any building flaws, e.g. structural issues with the building or roof, damp etc. The pest report should detail any evidence of pest infestation. It will enable you to assess the cost of any required treatment. ^

How do I make repayments on the loan?

You can arrange to make your loan repayments either by payroll deduction, direct debit from your savings or transaction account, internet or telephone banking transfer. ^

How often will I receive information on my account?

Statements are produced monthly. Duplicate statements can be requested at any time from our office. Account information is also available via our Internet and Phone banking services. ^

What security is required to take out a Home Loan?

Your loan must be secured by a registered mortgage over a residential property. ^

What happens if I get sick, have an accident or lose my job?

In the event you are facing financial hardship we encourage you to contact your local branch and we can work with you through the hardship. ^

Do I need to take out Home insurance?

Building insurance is required to be taken out equal to the amount stated in the recommendation on the property valuation. ^

Is a redraw facility available?

Horizon gives you the option of making extra repayments on your loan and then having the flexibility of being able to redraw on these extra repayments. Terms and conditions are available on application. ^

What is Lenders Mortgage Insurance?

Lenders mortgage insurance if applicable, covers the Credit Union against a loss in the unlikely event that we have to exercise our right to sell the property due to ongoing default of loan repayments. It must not be confused with Insurance designed to cover your lending obligations in the case of sickness, accident or involuntary unemployment. ^

  More Information